Before I kick of this week’s best posts, I wanted to point you in the direction of Misha’s Russia Blog. Scroll down to the Gorbachev Obama post for the coolest picture of the week.
Now, on to this week’s roundup:
- Why do the British hate the Russians so? Mat Rodina thinks it’s because post-imperial Britain is now a second rate European power, and because it’s descending into a Orwellian police state. Speaking as a British subject who has managed to briefly hide away from the CCTV cameras, I think it’s because Russia’s just so damn cool. We’ve moved on from the French who are, frankly, a bit dull. Seriously – can you imagine James Bond taking on the French?
- By the way – everyone’s interested in the new James Bond film this week. The President of Russia wants you to know that Daniel Craig is a wimp, and that a Russian stuntman did all the hard work. Eagle and Bear is really grumpy about the translated title – Quantum of Mercy. Russia Blog profiles Olga Kuriyenko, the first Russian (well, Ukrainian) actress to play a Bond Girl. I merely want to point you in the direction of my post which conclusively demonstrates that Russian Bond Girls are the sexiest. Even if they’re not played by Russian actresses.
- Ever wanted to read Russian language blog posts, but don’t speak enough Russian? Google has the answer – automatic translation of blog feeds. Timothy Post explains how Google helps you to read Russian without having to speak Russian.
- Plenty of blogs have been covering this week’s fatal submarine accident. As you’d expect, Russian Navy Blog has the best coverage and analysis – here, here and here.
- This week saw the 20th Anniversary of Russia’s Buran Space Shuttle. Windows to Russia has put together a brief photo tribute to the Buran, and the Russian Navy Blog reports on how the Buran saved the world from war in space. The last surviving Buran is sadly tucked away in a German museum – earlier this year, I posted some sad pictures of the Buran’s final trip down the Rhine.
- Congratulations to Russian Blog, which is celebrating its first birthday.
- ??????? (pindosy). It’s a rude word used by Russians to describe Americans. Eternal Remont has the background.
- A Russian anarchist group called War project a green laser skull and crossbones on the Russian White House.
- Lex Libertas has dug out some old school pictures of Soviet adverts. My favourite’s the pig and the fish cuddling a jar of mayonnaise.
- Finally – for your walking pleasure – Soviet Carpets with pictures of Lenin for you to stomp on.
Well that’s it for this week. If you can’t wait for next week’s installment, be sure to check out the Russia Blogs page over at my new website Russian News Online.
For the mention! Your blog is looking really sharp!