Russia Blog Roundup – 10 November
Before I kick off this week’s (or, rather, last week’s – sorry, running a bit behind!) roundup of the best blog posts about Russia, I just wanted to remind you that I launched a new website this week:
Russian News Online pulls together all of the top headlines from all of the top Russia news sources onto one simple page – from the Moscow Times to the New York Times. And, as a special bonus, page 2 of the site collates all of the headlines from all of the top Russia blogs.
I hope you find Russian News Online useful. If you do – then please tell others. If you don’t – then please tell me, as I’d really appreciate the feedback!
Now, on with the blog posts:
- First up, the President of Russia has the English translation of a new Russian film about the war in Georgia – “War 08.08.08 or the art of treachery”. I’m still working my way through the film but, as you’d expect, it’s packed with more propaganda that an old Soviet poster. There are a few interesting bits, too, though – well worth a watch. (If you speak Russian, you can see the original version of ????? 08.08.08 on Russia.ru).
- Dmitry Medvedev’s video blogs continue apace – he’s onto his third now. If you are one of those who think he is just a puppet of Putin, think again – Medvedev has sold his soul to Apple Computers.
- Putin, by the way, is catching up with his more techno-literate President. He’s just launched the 100% Unofficial Blog of the Prime Minister of Russia. Welcome to the fold, VVP!
- Two picture posts of Russian Halloween celebrations from Moscow Doesn’t Believe in Tears and Two Zero’s Diary.
- The Russian Navy Blog brings you (possibly) the last word on the Battle of the Black Sea.
- Hare Krishna’s in the former capital of Bolshevism. The Eagle and the Bear visits a Moscow temple for a spot of singing and some coconut baked goods. Alec has posted video proof of the singing but, sadly, no proof of the baked goods.
- Scraps of Moscow covers the latest Russian protest march: “It’s the type of thing that could make
athe last Russian liberal’s head explode. Nazi-saluting morons getting beaten by cops while marching on the Arbat. Cops stomping on the Russian flag.”
- Blabrmouth considers oligarch bailouts, and just what can be done in a Moscow minute.
- Russia has the first cyrillic top level domain – .??. Wonder if Siberianlight.?? is still available?
- Two perspectives on Medvevev’s first state of the nation speech from Mmd Russia Blog: Fist the domestic view, then the foreign policy view.
- Did you know Lenin dotted all his i’s – even the capitals?
- This week’s Word of the week is –????? ?????.
- Sean Paul at the Agonist thinks we’re in the middle of Russia’s Dead Cat Bounce.
Well, that’s about it for this week. Oh, just one thing before I go – did you know there’s a Reindeer Husbandry blog? Visit for all the lastest Russian reindeer husbandry news!